Monday, June 13, 2011

Look- something shiny!

On Children's Day, May 5th (I know, I know I'm so behind), my mom and I went to Suwon to check out Hwaseong Fortress. I'd been to the wall surrounding the fortress a few months back but wasn't able to make it to the fortress itself before closing time. We wandered around Haenggung, which is the palace within the fortress, and then mom did  some more exploring while I scooted back to Incheon for work. I still haven't been able to do a full loop of the wall so hopefully I can accomplish that sometime this summer when it's still warm. 
On Children's Day kids get a much needed break from school for the day. A lot of hagwons close too but some, like ours, stay open and there are a few poor kids who end up having to come. Plus no mini-holiday for us teachers either, boo.
Damn, clowns are a bad idea no matter what country you're in.
There was a performance outside the entrance involving swords and archery and lots of straw slicing. My kind of performance.
 Behold the power and skill of the guards of Hwaseong Fortress.
 
And here's where I headed back to work so these are pictures my mom took in an area I haven't been to yet so these were new for me too.
Trivia of the Day: A gosu (고수, literally "drummer") is a drummer in performances of pansori (판소리), a form of traditional Korean narrative/theater that is usually performed by just two musicians: a solo singer and a drummer. The gosu supports the sorikkun, or singer, by providing rhythms with a soribuk (pansori drum), a shallow barrel drum with a pine body and two cowhide heads. Impromptu short verbal sounds made by the gosu, called chu-imsae, also play an important role.

No comments:

Post a Comment